Tuesday, August 12, 2014

In Medias Res

Starting at the beginning is not always appropriate. When I went back to school, I was taught the term in medias res, which is Latin for "in the midst of things." Many authors are fond of starting their novels this way, and I think it's best to start off my blog in this manner, too.

My breast cancer diagnosis came during what is deemed "middle age." None of us knows exactly how long we are going to live, but the term generally refers to a person in his or her late 40s. It officially came one month and five days after my 47th birthday.

In the description of this blog, I described my breast cancer as a "journey." Where that journey will end is just as baffling as trying to figure out what age I will be when I die. What is certain is that I am a writer, and as a writer I am compelled to write about it, regardless of the outcome.

I hope you will accompany me on my journey. Like I said, it will be a different one, devoid of pink ribbons and the usual metaphors that correlate breast cancer with epic battles. Some journeys can be fraught with danger; others can be nothing but clear skies and calm waters. I don't know what kind of journey this is yet, but I know where I've come from.

Nava


1 comment: